LapGuide™: An autonomous robot-assisted camera guidance system for laparoscopy
Problem:Poor laparoscopic positioning due to miscommunication between surgeon and assistant is an unnecessary stress factor and potential source of errors.
NEED Statement: Introduce a robotic assistant which uses a camera guidance system to track down and perform autonomous laparoscope guidance.
Beneficiary: Surgeon, Assistant surgeon
Description: LapGuide™ comprises of special features:
- Instrument tracking - Real time color tracking using green markers at the end of the instruments
- Foot pedal control - Locking the position of the laparoscope as well as switching the focus
- Small size - Portable, flexible, compact and easy to set up
- Intuitive - No required training
- Manual control - Can manage repositioning by hand
Result: Enables better working condition with automatic camera alignment. Assistants have better communication with surgeon. Less assistants required per surgery.