Automated gauze counting bin using photoelectric sensor
Problem: Human error of counting number of gauge pads being used during a surgery.
NEED Statement: Introduce a bin attached with photoelectric sensor for counting to reduce human error and workload of nurse
Beneficiary: Surgeon, Circulating nurse, Scrub nurse
- The photoelectric sensor consists of a receiver and a transmitter
- When a gauze pad is dropped inside the bin, the light from the transmitter to the receiver gets interrupted
- This signal triggers the microcontroller to increment the count. The display unit attached to the microcontroller displays the value of number of gauze pads in the bin.
- An option to reset via microcontroller
- The photoelectric sensor will assist the nurse to count gauze pad in the bin
- Less chance of human error as sensor will automatically detect the pads when it falls into the bin
- Reduced workload for nurse