RF Identification tag to gauze
Problem:Circulating nurse and surgical technician has to manually count the surgical sponges/gauzes in the disposal bin.
NEED Statement: Introduce a Radio-Frequency Identification tag micro-fabricated to the gauzes to count automatically.
Beneficiary: Surgeon, Assistant surgeon, Patient, Circulating Nurse
- Autocount is facilitated with a RF code scanner placed over disposal bin
- This system has ability to count multiple sponges at once without separation
- Requires no line of sight technology preventing separating out the soiled sponges from the bin
- Deadly mistake like leaving gauge inside patient’s body can be avoided
- Less workload for circulating nurse and surgical technician